Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Sleeping Doe Watercolor by Jil Lebel

Hello Ai fans!

When I first saw this new watercolor release the doe sleeping under the tree image was my absolute favorite.  I knew I wanted to recreate that image from the packaging.  I just needed to think of a way to work it into a card.  My birthday was two weeks ago and my sweet friend, Tere, gave me several pretty card bases.  As soon as I saw them I knew one design would be perfect for my doe scene! I love it when things work out like that.


I started with a piece of Canson XL watercolor paper.  I inked up my tree from the WC Tree Set 1 5010 with Sepia and stamped the tree in the center of the paper and did not pull the color from the lines. I used my Acrylic Stamp Positioner to add the doe from the WC Mini Critter Set 5016 with Black. I used Brown with my Brush that I scribbled onto my Watercolor Palette to add color to the tree and the doe.  Once I'd added enough color to the doe, I used the fine tip of the Black marker to add back any lost features. I used Stamping Mask Paper to create a mask for the doe. Once it was covered, I used the tall grass from the WC Foliage Set 3 5007 with Olive Green to add in the grass around the doe.  I used my brush to pull the color up from the grass. I added leaves to the tree from the WC Foliage Set 3 5007 with Olive Green and used my damp Brush to pull out some color. I inked the three tiny blooms from the WC Mini Flower Set 3 5009 with Magenta and stamped it over the leaves and used my damp Brush to pull out some color.  I used the WC Flower Set 3 5008 and inked up the stem with Olive Green and inked up the bloom with Magenta.  I stamped it a few times below the tree.  I pulled the mask off of to reveal my untouched doe.  I used a circle die cut to cut out the entire scene.


I selected a single piece of pattern paper that would match everything on my card because it would show from the back to the front.  I chose a piece from the Pebbles Garden Party 6x6 paper pad and attached it to the inside of the card. I used a decorative die cut to cut the circle in the top portion of the card front where you would see the scene.  I attached my doe scene to the inside of the card so you could see it through the opening.Then I used Seedless Preserves Distress Oxide Ink to stamp the greeting.  I also added several different colored acrylic gems along the scallops on the card front using my jewel picker.  I selected them to match the paper.


Thanks for stopping by and Have a Great Day!

5 comments:

S. Molinari said...

This is a very pretty peaceful scene!

Dot J Freel said...

So very beautiful! Love it.

Verna Angerhofer said...

So wonderful as always Jil. I sure love that darling little scene and the way you water colored it.

see mary stamp said...

Beautiful! Love how the die cut frames the beautiful image.

Sharon Caudle said...

Oh my word!! I can't even begin to tell you how much I love your work! Jil, this is spectacular!!!!