Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Tuesday Threads with Karen

Hello Ai sewing fans!
I've been sewing again... this month, I'm sharing a sleep mask!  And of course, I knew that Ai had this wonderful image in the Pamper Yourself set (AiCS31)... so I made a matching card.
I adore quick and easy gift projects, and this one is no exception, the whole thing came together in under an hour.  I'm using the Art Impressions Shop Hop fabrics designed by Bonnie Krebs, available through Henry Glass Co.
I started with a sheet of paper folded in half, sketched out what I wanted the mask to look like, then added a 1/4" seam allowance to make my pattern.  I picked two of the patterns from the fabric collection, and cut out the mask shape.  I cut a piece of Therm O Web's Heat n Bond Fusible Fleece just a little larger.
 I pinned a length of eyelet lace around the mask, so that it would get sandwiched between the layers when I sewed them all together.  I cut a piece of 1/4" elastic long enough to fit around my head when it's attached to the mask, cut a piece of pink seam binding about 6" longer, and threaded the elastic through it to form the strap.
I left a 2" opening when I sewed the front and back together, to be able to turn it inside out, and then slip stitched it shut with a needle & thread.  And there you have it!  Here is what the reverse looks like (the mask is reversible!):

And here is a closer look at my card:
I hope you have time to do a little sewing, and if you do - try making a sleep mask!


7 comments:

Dot J Freel said...

So cute both the card and the eye cover!

Bunny Dobbie said...

What a super idea! I've made sleep masks before. I love this card to go with it! I like to put lavender in sleep masks when I make them. I've made quite a few to use myself for migraines. They aren't washable but when they are so easy to whip up, as you say, it doesn't matter.

Kerry said...

Oh my goodness Karen, this is totally awesome! What a great set! LOVE! <3

Cheri Burry said...

How cute and fun! Love that you made a matching card too!

katieo said...

I love that fabric and the card is perfect.

Sharon Caudle said...

Oh my goodness gracious, Karen!!! This couldn't be more adorable!!! Absolutely LOVE this set!!!

diane zechman said...

Very cute, Karen! I love how your card matches your project!