Saturday, August 19, 2017

Watercolor Weekend Roundup - Summery Projects!

Hello, Ai Fans! We are rounding up another Watercolor Weekend! Watercolor Weekend is twice a month here on the blog, where we feature our Watercolor Guest Design Team! We know you love our Watercolor line, and want to share even more inspiration for your own projects! Take a look at what our team members, Dot Freel, Tricia Kennedy and Tricia O'Bin, have created this week! Remember, you can visit their personal blogs, Instagram, and other social media to view more projects!

Dot Freel - Instagram - Blog - Pinterest
Hello Art Impressions watercolor fans,

I have never been to England but my craft room is decorated in the shabby chic style and we have always called it the "cottage" room. I made this birthday card using the English Cottage from the AI Watercolor Series 6 Set 1 - 3497 for the bi-monthly Art Impressions Watercolor Weekends Roundup. I made one similar to this one and framed it for my cottage room.

I've often wondered why I hadn't seen the little bridge stamp set which is included in Set 1 - 3497 used on any cards in the AI watercolor cards on Pinterest. I've seen several with the big bridge, but none with the little bridge. Just looking at other Pinterest AI watercolor cards can inspire me to create something new. There are definitely tons of them out there. You can follow my Pinterest board by clicking on this link.

Sometimes my best cards happen when I have to stop half way and go back to it later. I love how this one turned out when I came back to it. Maybe because it had dried completely? I ended up stamping more leaves with olive green to my trees and then I added the flowers. I added the shade to the water under the bridge and I made my Happy Birthday banner using my Brother label maker.

If you have made a card with the small bridge, please tag me @dotjiris in it so I can see how you used it. I plan to use every one of my AI watercolor stamps again and again in different ways and colors. What other stamps do you get to use more than a few times? Such a bargain for the money and super fun to make. I seriously want them all!

Marvy LePlume II Markers: 45 Sepia15 Olive Green28 English Red86 African Violet
Other Supplies: Tombow 249 Green Pen, Tim-Holtz 4.25-X-5.5-Distress Watercolor Cardstock

Tricia Kennedy - Instagram
My project for today is a summer inspired watercolor scene displayed in a 4x6 silver frame - “At The Beach”. I started by stamping the tiny pail from the WC Small Container Set first in Sepia (stamped it off on a scratch piece of paper) then re-inking the stamp in African Violet (again stamping it off on scratch paper) before finally stamping it onto the actual watercolor paper. When inking the stamp in Sepia and African Violet, it combines into a nice shade of gray, almost metal-like. I added the wild grasses from the Garden Wagon Mini Set on both sides of the pail along with the small grass stamp from the WC Foliage Set 1 in Sepia. The pail was filled with flowers from the WC Flower Set 2 in Magenta and Olive Green and completed with the small grass stamp from the WC Foliage Set 1 in Olive Green. I mixed Rosewood and Sepia on my palette and brushed in the beach. Next, I stamped the umbrella from the WC Series 2 Set in African Violet. With the umbrella in place, I added Manganese Blue to my palette and brushed in the ocean. I put English Red on my palette to fill in the umbrella for a great pop of color. And, Salvia Blue on the palette to complete the clouds. The final step was to add dot detail around the pail and flowers.

Tricia O'Bin - Blog - Instagram - YouTube

When you see Easy Watercolor Painting do you think not you? If you are like me and you love the look of watercolor paintings but you can't paint, then I have the technique for you. I will show you an easy way to watercolor using stamps and water-based markers. 

In April of 2016 I came across a watercolor video, I was so intrigued by the artwork that I thought, I can do that, and so it began! I recently started this new blog (I used to be at www.thepassionatestamper.blogspot.com) and a YouTube channel where I have just started creating videos to show you how easy it is to watercolor without having any experience. Anyone can do it and I'll show you how step-by-step.

I began by stamping the chest using Sepia on Canson XL watercolor paper. I pulled the color out of the lines. I made a mask for the chest and stamped the cobblestone using Sepia. I added vines using Olive Green around the chest. Once I softened the vines, I used the daisy bunch to add flowers in Brilliant Yellow and Violet. I also used the flower from the Spring Basket stamped in Persimmon. I used the Prussion Blue on my watercolor palette to add color to the chest. I added the small grass to the cobblestone in Olive Green and stamped the small daisy from the new flower set using Prussian Blue and Olive Green.

I cut a background I did using Brushos to 4 x 5 1/4 and added craft foam to pop it up. I cut a stitched circle at the top and stamped the "Love You A Bunch" sentiment in the bottom right corner. I attached the watercolor painting to the background so that it showed through the window and adhered the entire panel to a top folding white card.

Here is another project using the same chest of flowers. See how each one comes out different even though it was the exact same stamps and process? The background was done with stencils and ink.

Thanks for joining me for this weeks Watercolor Weekend. Visit my YouTube Channel HERE to see how you can make this easy watercolor painting.

Other Supplies: Silver Brush 3000S-6 Black Velvet Short Handle Blend Squirrel, White Fun Foam, Neenah Classic Crest Paper 110 lb, Brushos


What beautiful watercolor projects! They are very inspiring, especially for this last stretch of summer! Did you enjoy this week's roundup? Let us know in the comments, we love to hear what you think! You can also share your creations with us on Instagram with #aistamps and #aiwatercolor so we can see what you have been creating as well! Happy Stamping!

11 comments:

Susie Sonnier said...

love them, I am currently obsessed with AI watercoloring

Karen Day said...

Knocked it out of the park again, ladies! Great inspiration :o)

Cat Craig said...

fantastic, these stamps are so relaxing to use.

Jil Lebel said...

I love all of these watercolor scenes. They all look so fun to do. Such great inspiration ladies!

Sharon Caudle said...

Wow! Such wonderful inspiration!! Gorgeous creations!!

katieo said...

Gorgeous projects. Great inspiration.

Carol H. said...

These are all so beautiful!! So inspiring!

Colleen said...

All of these are so pretty, great job ladies

smallcity said...

So beautiful ,

Cheri Burry said...

Wow you ladies sure make beautiful watercolored cards!!

Terri said...

Dang, I can't find the Watercolor Series 6 Set 1 - 3497 anywhere. This is one of the drawbacks of discovering the watercolor stamps late in the game--so many of the terrific sets are no longer available. I'm hoping that some of the old sets come back someday...