Sunday, September 1, 2024

We Don't Use Enough Purple! Guest Designer Challenge #9 with Barb Edmondson

 Hello Ai fans!

Welcome to the September Guest Designer Challenge!

We don't use enough PURPLE!

This challenge came about in a funny way. I can't remember if it was a DT member card or a fan card, but a couple months ago, someone created a pretty purple card, and I commented that "we" don't use enough purple. Karen Day replied to me with basically...ha ha...maybe that should be a future challenge. And, here it is!

We want to see you use purple paper, inks, flowers, paint, markers...whatever you like!

The paper should be easy.  Just by coincidence, the last few paper packs that Joel has created have been full of beautiful purple papers. Not to mention Bonnie's new Encouragement Journal which is packed with purple. Don't you love happy coincidences??



Our Guest Designer for September is Barb Edmondson and you're going to love her card.

Before we get to that, let's see who won our HOUSES challenge in August.


Marianne Hansen!!

She used 5916 – Woodland Castle Set along with some foliage and flowers to create her beautiful card.
Another coincidence...it's purple...lol.


Congratulations Marianne!

You will be the Art Impressions October Guest Designer.


Marianne,  please contact me at Renee@artimpressions.com
so that we can discuss your challenge theme and to claim a free stamp set of your choice.

Now for the Lucky Random Winner of a freebie stamp from me.
Another coincidence...#1 came up last month as the winner as well! 
Also, Lee used purple...WOW!
I promise, I'm not making this up!





Please contact me at Renee@artimpressions.com with your address to see what freebies I have and claim your free stamp.

Now for our September Guest Designer.
Let's see what Barb has to share.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was given the opportunity to choose a stamp set. I gave it some thought because I needed to find something that I could use a lot of purple on. This Birdhouse Cubbies set 5346 seemed like it would do well for this and be a lot of fun. I knew would enjoy coloring these images with pencils.

In order for the birds to show up on the dark purple house, I decided to color them yellow,  adding a bit of light green on their bellies.  Since the vine should be green, I stayed with the green theme and colored the doors green. I colored the flowers purple because of the theme - use enough purple.  How much is “enough purple”?  

The die cuts nice holes for windows and doors but I didn’t want the white card to show. I wanted it to look like wood inside. I used a little piece of kraft colored cardstock and attached it behind using little adhesive foam pieces. I added birds by stamping and cutting more. Some of them are attached using foam, too. Do you see the one inside the attic space peeking out?

Then there was the issue of choosing how to make the background.  I looked through my patterned papers collection I found some beautiful ones that has rows of what looks like water colors, varying in shades and colors. When I saw the one with green, blue, purple, I thought of - green grass, blue and purple sky and decided it went perfectly with this scene. I felt like it needed something to make it look like sky, so I got out a cloud stencil, ink, and a brush and lightly brushed ink around the top of the stencil in different places. Now I think I’ve given the impression of clouds.

This project was a challenge but truly I enjoyed playing with this set. I can see exploring more choices of bird colors and arrangements, house colors, background types, etc. Oh, what fun!

I think I first heard of Art Impressions while shopping at Hobby Lobby a few years ago and saw a small selection of Bonnie Krebs funny stamps sets. I bought “Enjoy the Ride” and made an anniversary card for son and his wife because they ride bikes as a family.   Then one day I saw the Frog set there for birthdays and thought it was so funny! I made a few for birthdays.  Then I was always looking for more AI sets, and bought some.  Now, I’m interested in the watercolor techniques Bonnie and team teach and am trying that after purchasing many of those types of stamps. Oh, and I love the Bible journaling, and mini journals!  I watch a lot of their wonderful videos! I’m hooked on Art Impressions!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a BEAUTIFUL card Barb!

Thank you so much for providing such wonderful inspiration for our challenge.

Now, if you're feeling like it, check out some of the pretty purple paper Art Impressions has to offer as well as Bonnie's Encouragement Journal.  You can find her tutorials for these paintings on the Art Impressions YouTube channel. Look below the photo for the links to parts 1 &2.

Sets for the Encouragement Journal can be purchased separately, or as a bundle to save you money.
Simply click the photos below to be taken to the products.


Encouragement Journal Tutorials




For as long as I have duplicate stamps I will choose a random winner.
These will be for U.S. residents only since these will be mailed by me personally
and not Art Impressions.

If you are selected as the freebie winner I will send you a photo of what I have
and you can choose from that.

Here is the fine print...

✻ Please make a new card or handmade crafty creation.
✻You can make any item you wish; this is not limited to cards!
✻ Limit two submissions per person. 
✻You MUST use Art Impressions stamps or dies! You may use other companies products but the main focus should be on Ai items.
✻If you win, you will receive one free stamp set of your choice. In return you will create a brief write up explaining how you made your item and email it to me. (Reneé) 
We will share your creation on Art Impressions social media.
✻If you would like to participate in the challenge but not be
considered to be a guest designer please place an X after your name.
 ✻Please include your first name and last initial on your submission.
✻We love to comment on your entries, but keep in mind if you use a private group or a platform that you need to sign up for, we probably won't be able to.
✻ The Ai Challenge is open to everyone, international submissions are welcome!
✻ Include a link back to the Ai Blog or grab our button on the top right of our sidebar!
✻ Share the Ai love if you can, by clicking and commenting on your fellow crafters.
✻ Make sure to get your link up by the deadline to enter your creations.
✻ Good luck and happy crafting!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

2 comments:

Sharon Caudle said...

Congratulations Barb!! Your card is so beautiful! I really love how you used the Birhouse Cubbies and your painting of the sky is fabulous!! And another congratulations for Marianne!! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!!

Barbara Edmondson said...

Thank you so much, Sharon!