Thursday, January 11, 2024

Valentine Rosette's by Reneé Matarese

 Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas and a Happy New Year.



Every year, I'm in charge of decorating my elementary school. It's a huge undertaking but it's fun.
I discovered some paper bag snowflakes that I fell in love with.  I tweaked the design a bit to make them a little more "Valentinsy." lol...



I apologize for the dark photos.  It's January in upstate NY and the sun RARELY comes out. 
These were far too big for my light box so I did my best.

Here's a step-by-step photo tutorial for how I made these.

You need 8 paper bags. Any size, any color.
Lay the first bag down with the flap underneath.



Place glue in an upside down T pattern and glue the second bag on top, pressing to secure.
Repeat until you have 4 bags glued together.



Once I had 4 bags glued together, I used 5721 – Nested Heart Dies to trace the heart pattern on.



I did this on both sides.



I used a larger heart from the set on top to create a finial.




Next, I cut along the lines I had drawn. Then I glued the last 4 bags on in the same fashion, flap side down and cut those out following along the shapes I had already cut.



I did the same thing on my larger white bags but used a scalloped pattern on the top.



I cut more hearts out of 5812 – Christmas S2 Paper Pack and 5741 – Valentines Paper Pack and created centerpieces for the rosettes as well as adding some little hearts to the white rosette.



I don't usually get too into Valentine's Day but for some reason, this year I can't seem to get enough. Last week I shared a garland that I made for my fireplace mantle.  You can find that here.
Check back later today for week two of our Clean Slate (anything goes) challenge.




4 comments:

Karen Day said...

Renee - how big are these?? I don't think I appreciated the scale of them until I read through your post, and realized you'd used paper bags. Great ideas!

Renee Matarese said...

Karen, I didn't think to share the size but I will when I put it on social media. The brown one has a 15" (38.1 cm) diameter and the white one is 21" (53 cm).

Deb H. said...

A nice idea to use the bags to make cute Valentine Rosettes.

Sharon Caudle said...

This is so fantastic, Renee!! I love how you put this together and I want to make one for my own mantle!!