Thursday, June 13, 2024

Twirling Panda by Dori Mendiola

 Happy Thursday AI Friends!

My inspiration for today's card came from the current challenge "Panda-Modium".  This Pand-tastic stamp set is just the cutest and when I saw this interactive-style card, I knew that these pandas would be perfect and I just had to make one.  It looks like this panda will just run across the card, but actually he cartwheels across it.  Check out the video below to see him in action.  


I started off by stamping the pandas with Memento black ink on copic friendly paper.  I colored the images with my copic markers (colors listed below).  After coloring the pandas, I fussy cut them out.  The Pand-tastic stamp set has three pandas together as one image and the one on the right looked like he was prepping to do a cartwheel, so I decided to cut him off of the threesome and use him as the twirling panda.

To make the bottom panel, I cut the green cardstock with the largest Rounded Rectangle A2 Double Stitched die.  I then cut the grass edge and the slider channel with dies I had in my stash.  Stamp the sentiment onto the green panel at this point, before creating the mechanism and attaching the foam tape.  Create the pull tab by cutting a piece of 1/2" x 6" green cardstock to match the grassy panel.  Cut a matching piece out of heavy weight cardstock and adhere to the backside for more stability.  Punch a 1/4" hole into one end of the pull tab and stamp "pull" on the other end.  Cut two discs (about 1/2" diameter) and glue a (1/4"or less) piece of rounded foam dot onto the middle of one of the discs.  Place the foam dot through the pull tab hole and through the slider channel to the front of the panel.  Adhere the other disc to the foam dot.  Attach your twirling image to this disc (front side).


To make the mechanism so that the panda twirls, I first made a sleeve, or collar, for the pull tab so that it wouldn't move around when pulling.  To do this, just take a scrap piece of paper (approx. 1/4" x 1 1/2") and fold into thirds.  Glue the tail down and then place the pull tab within the collar.  Glue the collar to the backside of the grassy panel making sure to hide it so it doesn't show through the slider channel.  Now here is the trick to make it twirl.  Take a piece of fishing line, adhere one end to the foam tape on the right side of the panel.  Make sure the front side of the panel is facing down and the grassy edge is facing up.  Bring the fishing line under the disc and then wrap clockwise three times around the disc.  Pull tightly, leaving no slack, and adhere the other end of the fishing line to the left side over the collar, with foam tape (see above).  Place another piece of foam tape over the fishing line and pull the line back over the new tape.  Place double foam tape around the edges.  Test the mechanism and adhere the green grassy panel to the card base.  Your image should be doing cartwheels across the card.

Add your finishing touches and your interactive card is complete.


Thank you for joining me today and I hope you enjoyed my card!
Have a great day!

Copics used:  C00, C1, C3, C5
R20, R22, R43, R46
BG53, BG57, YG13, YG17


2 comments:

Sharon Caudle said...

OMG! This couldn't be any more adorable than it is!!! SO CUTE!!!! You're a genius my friend!!!

Hunky Dory said...

🤣🤣 Thank you Sharon! This was a fun one and easy to make. ❤️