Sunday, September 8, 2024

Faith, Hope, and Rustic Charm by Gennette Houghton

 


Welcome to Watercolor Weekend! My first card today was inspired by Bonnie’s new Bible Journaling series where the first segment is on hope. I was looking for quotes based on hope, and came across one that really spoke to me.

Grant me strength when I feel small.

Grant me faith when I lose sight.

Grant me HOPE when all seems lost.

Grant me grace in mornings light.

                          - Mary Davis

 For my first card I used the newly released 5919 Long Stem Floral with hand written words. I wanted it to be simple, I wanted the words to stand out, and I wanted it just to be a message.  Each stamp was inked in 565/969 and stamped off 3 times.  I wanted the lines to be fairly light, extending past the stem I used a pencil to write the words in.  Each flower was done in the following colors. 1st flower - 837 and 249. 2nd flower – 526 and 177. 3rd flower – petals 025 and 026, center 947 and 969, and the stem in 126 and 177. 4th flower – petals 676, center 947 and 969, stem 249. Using a very fine detail brush, I used the stem color to go over the penciled lines of each word. Once dry I then erased the pencil and fixed any areas on the words that needed it.  For a little depth, I placed just a slight shadow underneath each flower with 565. 5741 Valentines PP was used to mat my painting and card. 

My second card also features two of the newly released sets. 5923 Farmhouse Container, and 5918 Floral Long Stem Bouquet. I used 565 and 969 on the pitcher, stamped off twice then stamped my final image and pulled the color out of the lines. I then created a mask with post-it tape and masked the pitcher. Using 565 and 969 on the bouquet I stamped on the stamp positioner and then stamped off once more. Positioning the bouquet where I wanted it with the positioner and stamped it in.  

I then removed the mask and colored the pitcher with 312. Once dry I used first 947 for the rust with a little bit of 969 second to darken up some of the areas for a deeper rust look.  For the flowers I started with the bottom petals, working my way up in sections. I colored each petal with 993 first and worked my way around the flower, then used 933 starting at the base next to the center of the flower, pulling the color up only part way. I repeated this as I worked my way up to the top petals. 76 carrot orange Twintone was used for darkening between the petals and to add just a little bit of detail.  For the centers I started with 055, then 993 for some shading. 947 was used just along the very edge and placed in some dots throughout the center. 41 Chocolate Twintone was used to define the center and also darken some of the areas in the petals. 249 was used on the stems and leaves. 526 for the back ground color, 969 for the base with 565 for the shadow. 5065 Oval Double Stitched Die, the 4th largest was used to cut out the image. 5727 Nested Oval, 6th largest, to cut out the mat for the image. The card was matted with paper from 5892 Easter S2 PP.  Thank you for joining me, I hope you enjoyed my cards! Until next time! Create….Share….Inspire!



1 comment:

Sharon Caudle said...

Gennette, these are so gorgeous!! I LOVE the way you used the flowers in your first card with the words behind them! And your painting is just so beautiful!! I love them both!