Saturday, February 2, 2019

Watercolor Weekend Roundup - Love Cards!


Hello, Ai Watercolor Fans! We have three lovely projects for you here on the blog with our fabulous watercolorists! Enjoy a slice of spring featuring flowers, children, windows, and a whole lot of LOVE!

Dot Freel - Instagram - Blog - Pinterest
Hello Watercolor Friends,

I made this Valentine's Day card for the Art Impressions Watercolor Weekend. I stamped the little girl from the Little Girls set and little boy from the Little Boys set in brownish grey. I feel it doesn't spread much when you add water so it's pretty perfect to use for the kids. Then I colored the little girl and boy's skin in from the palette using pastel peach. I used 725 to watercolor in the hat and shorts on the little girl and African violet to color in the boy's overalls. I colored their hair from the palette using 969. I added stripes to the boys shirt using 177. I stamped in the tree trunk from the Fairy Door set with 969 then stamped in the leaves using 177. I pulled the color out of the lines and added more 969 to the trunk of the tree from the palette. I added grass from the Foliage Set 1 and pulled the color out of the lines with a wet brush. I stamped the flowers from Flower Set 2 using the 177 for the stems and aubergine for the flowers. After I added water, I ended up re-stamping just the flowers again because the flowers washed out too much and I used the tip of the 177 to draw in more stems. I added a lot of water to some African violet on the palette and colored in the sky and the shadows under the kids on the ground and on their white shirts. I used the sentiment from Love is in the Air stamp set by only coloring the "Happy" in 969, then I cleaned the stamp and only colored in the "Valentine's Day" with the 969 so it would all fit on the bottom. I used aubergine to paint in the little flowers on the girl's shirt. I used the Rectangle Stitched Dies to cut out my picture and a background piece, then I glued it all to the card base. I finished it all off by glueing on the three sparkly hearts.

Tricia Kennedy - Instagram
I decided a spring scene was the perfect project for today’s Art Impressions Watercolor Weekend since it’s been soooooooooooooooooo cold across the country. Perhaps this will warm everyone up!?!

Begin by inking up the window from 5014 WC Window Set with a combination of 969 Chocolate and 565 Deep Blue to create a lovely greyish color (I did not ink up the shutter). Next ink the foliage from 4867 WC Foliage Set 2 in 177 Dark Jade for the greenery at the bottom of the window and 158 Dark Olive for the greenery at the top of the window. Watercolor the Art Impressions way by pulling the color from the lines with your paint brush and water. Stamp in the tiny cone shape flowers from 5009 WC Mini Flower Set in 679 Dark Plum and the long stem multi flower in 725 Rhodamine Red (not pictured in photo) and 177 Dark Jade. Finally stamp a portion of the bricks from 5019 WC Wall Texture Set in the same greyish combination of 969 Chocolate and 565 Deep Blue on both sides of the window. I die cut the piece using 5063 Rectangle A2 Double Stitched Dies. I opted to put it on the cute little clip frame, but it would be great on the front of a card.


Tricia O'Bin - Blog - Instagram - YouTube - Pinterest - Facebook
Welcome back watercolor fans! Today I am sharing a scene I created using some watercolor stamps from Art Impressions as well as a non-watercolor set. I wanted to create this Love Is In the Air card using all types of “couples”. These little animals were so cute! I did a video so you can create your own masked scene. If you want to watercolor along with me, click here.

Step 1 – The Animals
First, I inked up the rabbits up with the Tombow 569. I stamped it to the bottom left side of my watercolor paper. Next, I inked the mice up with the 969 and 569 which creates a nice gray color. In order for them to be a little lighter, I stamped it off first. Then, I stamped this into the middle of my watercolor paper. Finally, I inked the chipmunks up with 969 and stamped it on the bottom right hand side of my paper. I placed masks over each of the animal pairs. 

Step 2 – The Kids
Using the mask I created for the pier, I placed it so I could determine where to stamp the boy and girl. In order to get them placed where I wanted them I used my stamp positioner. I removed the mask stamped the little girl on the right. I replaced the mask and positioned where I want my boy to sit on the pier, I removed the mask and stamped him down. I added masks to the girl and boy.

Step 3 – The Pier and Birds
I stamped the pier behind the animals and underneath the kids. I masked it and then re-inked and positioned it to the left to extend the pier. I stamped each of the birds and positioned them to the left of the kids. 

Step 4 – Watercolor
I started by pulling the color out of the kids. Next, using just my brush and water, I pulled the color out of the birds. These birds are really small, so I try not to use a lot of water. If I don’t have enough water, I slowly add water until I am happy with the results.

Then I pulled color out of the rabbits. The 569 marker, much like the Marvy African Violet is very pigmented, I usually stamp it off. It only requires a very small amount of water to pull out the color. Once I soften those lines, I added additional color from my palette. On the bunnies, they are white so its important to just highlight the shadowed areas. 

I repeated with the mice, chipmunks and pier. Make sure to use the fine tip of the marker to darken in the eyes. I added some additional color underneath the kids for a shadow. I also added some 569 below the pier and animals to ground them.

Step 5 – Love
I lined up the word Love which I wanted to show behind the kids and birds. I placed it on a block and inked it up with 569. I stamped this down. From my palette, I added color to the kids. I pulled the color out of the words “Love”, only on the right side. I then added some 847 to each of the letters.

Don’t forget to sign your work, I keep doing that lately LOL. I am so happy you stopped by and I hope you give this a try. If you do, tag us on Instagram (#AIWatercolor, #AIStamps). 

INSERT

Check out the video on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/sOd4LtzGi_0

Tombow Markers – 969, 992, 569, 905, 847, 526, 990, 346, 676

Aren't these projects so cute? Leave a comment below to tell us what you think! If you aren't already following these ladies on social media, today is a great day to start, there is exciting inspiration ahead of us for spring!

Dot Freel - Instagram - Blog - Pinterest
Tricia Kennedy - Instagram
Tricia O'Bin - Blog - Instagram - YouTube - Pinterest - Facebook

Happy Stamping!

No comments: