Hello and Welcome to Watercolor Weekend! The new 6116 Thinking of Home Set in the Storybook Series is such a lovely set, the possibilities for this is amazing.
I decided to go with a mix of browns and pinks, and I absolutely love how this turned out! I was going to get a picture of the images after I colored them before assembly, but I got sidetracked, and when I returned to it and cut the images out with the included dies and started putting it together, is when I figured out that I had not. This set comes with 5 images, one as the back piece and then 4 layers. I decided that I actually wanted to cut out the house so that I could pop it up on foam tape, so I stamped in a guide of the house on the piece of watercolor paper so that I could put in some flowering trees beside it. I did a wash of 772 for the sky and then used 4964 WC Branches Set in 899, adding dots of 772, 817, and Bleed Proof White for the flowers. I stamped a second image of the house, so that after coloring I could cut it out and pop it up over the guide I stamped on the back piece. For the roof and the trim on the door and window, I used 899, and over that in areas 879. For the walls I did a light wash of 969, and also added details to the walls and roof using 4867 Foliage Set 2, the little foliage, in 990 on the walls and 969 on the roof. Which of course I figured out after assembly that you can’t see it. I used 969 on the chimney and shaded with 565. For the door and window panes I used 772, the handle on the door I used 947 and shaded with 969. For the front porch I used the same colors as the house, a light wash of 969 with 899 and 879 on the roof, shading with 565. Using the same foliage as before, I also added some details on the front post using 990. I did mask these off with post-it tape just in case. For the next layer with the cat in the chair, I went a little darker with the 969 on the chair and shaded with 565. For the cat I started with 565 to shade areas since part of the cat would be white, and then added some N52 for a light gray and a touch of 772 for the inside of the ears. The flowers were done with 817 focusing more color in the center. 126 and 177 on the leaves and 899 on the pot. For the stone I used N49 with N57 between the stones and then added shadows and shading with 565. Next is the bird house, for the post 969, base color on the house is 772, adding details with 817. The roof was done with 879, the perch 969. For the hole, 969 and 879 was used. The last layer with the mailbox, I started with 969 on the post, N60 for the base layer on the mailbox with some N52 in areas and shaded with 565. For the flag I used 817. The little bird, I used a black micron on the eyes, beak, and legs first. I then did a base color of 772, contouring with 817, and then added a touch of 969. Each of the stamp sets come with their own dies to cut out the images, but you will need 6121 Storybook Template Dies to create the ornament. The Template has all of the dies you need to cut out the components to assemble it together. The square to cut out the back piece and layers, and an oval to cut out the openings to line up with the opening in the outer casing. Each of the stamp images stamp out a section that lines up with the oval opening that you glue behind the paper layer that just leaves the image visible through the opening. Once you cut out the outer casing, you glue your back piece in, personally I prefer to put the layers together before attaching them over the back piece, a little easier for me that way. You will want to use foam tape between the layers, usually a square in each corner does the trick. I used a double layer of foam tape for added dimension between the layers. Since I popped up the cut out image of the house, I wish I had added one more layer of foam tape to the back of the porch layer. Just make sure as you are assembling that your layers are actually going to fit, I leave the backing on the foam tape and stack it inside to make sure there is enough room, then you can adjust from there if you’d like before putting it together. Once I have my layers together I then fold along the crease lines and then attach my layers into place and then glue the edges down. I used 6182 Valentines Series 2 Cover paper pack for the casing and the hanger. Once the sides were set, I then attached the hanger and added a bow and ribbon. I hope you will enjoy this set as much as I do!
I loved the color combo so much on my first project that I
decided to continue with that color theme.
This time I used the 6179 Cottage Charm with the 6158 Story Tile
Template Die. I cut down my watercolor paper down to 4 ¼ by 5 ½ and then placed
the die over the paper to trace out some guides with a pencil. Just don’t make
the same mistake I did, I put the die with the cut side up, which meant that I
had to turn my paper over and cut from the backside to get it to line up with
my images. (Still shaking my head!) So
place your die, cut side down before you trace your outlines. I then decided
where I wanted to stamp each image. I used Distress Ink in Pumice Stone and
stamped each one off first, if you are worried about the position you can
always use a stamp positioner. For the sentiment I used Versafine Clair in
Nocturne, using a permanent ink allowed me to watercolor the background in
without causing the sentiment to bleed.
Flower pots: I used 879, 947. 4868 Flower Set 2/flower bunch
in 177, 772, 817. 4052 Flower Set 1/ daisy bunch in 772, 817. 5126 Foliage Set 4/small vine in 249. 177 for
the ground and 526 for the sky.
Bird Bath: 565 and 969 mixed with a touch of 526. Water: 565 with a touch of 526 and 817 for
the reflection. Bird: 772, 817, and a
touch of 969. 5126 Foliage Set 4 for the leafy branch in 126 and a line drawn
up through the image with 177. 5008
Flower Set 3 with 772 and 817 at the base of the petals and 177.
Fence: Background 526.
5826 Large Tree Set 2/grass: 177 with a touch of 969 in 2 small spots at
the base. 5476 Foliage Set 5/grass, just
inking the tips in 817. Fence: 565 for shading and a couple of touches of 947
in light wash for interest.
House: Roof, window and door trim. 899 and 879. Walls, light
wash of 969. Chimney and steps, 565 and
969 mixed, 565 for shading. Door and
window panes 772. Door knob 969. Shutters, 772 and 817 for the slats. Ground 177 and 526 for the sky. 5372 Mini
Foliage Set/bush line in 249, Bleed Proof White for the flowers. 4964 Branches in 899, dots of 772, 817, and
Bleed Proof White for the flowers.
Sentiment: 772 for the background.
Bike: 772, 817, 969, N15, 565 for shading, pencil for
spokes. 5126 Foliage 4/leafy branch in 126
with 177 right up the center. 947 for
the ground, and 526 for the sky.
Always remember that sets like these can be used in so many
ways. You can use each stamp individually, or create your own scenes. I for one am looking forward to playing with
the possibilities. Thank you so much for
joining me today, until next time! Create….Share….Inspire!




No comments:
Post a Comment