Saturday, May 4, 2019

Watercolor Weekend Roundup - Homey Inspiration!

Hello, Ai Watercolor Fans! We have three more fabulous projects for you from our Watercolor Guest Design Team! We hope you enjoy these outdoorsy house scenes from Dot and Karen, as well as a colorful floral wreath by Tricia! Let's take a look!

 Dot Freel - Instagram - Blog - Pinterest
Hello Friends,

I was inspired by my camping/fishing weekend in Utah to make a card for my son's birthday. I stamped the boat from the 5057 - WC Boat Set in both 86 African violet and brown 969 and then I pulled the color out of the lines. Next I stamped the shed from the 5121 - WC Garden Shed Set again first using African violet and then the brown. After pulling the color out of the lines, I used the brown to color in the roof, shingles and door knob area. I used African violet to color the windows, add shade under the roof, on the door, and the water around the boat. I used the brown to watercolor the oars, the bench and the top of the boat. I used the brown to watercolor the ground on the other side of the boat and the walkway from the shed. I stamped the tree trunks from the 4960 - WC Fir Trees Set in brown, then I stamped in the branches using green 249. I added 75 sky blue to the palette to color in the sky. I stamped the grass from the 4051 - WC Foliage Set 1 in with 27 olive brown. I stamped the tall grasses from the 5007 - WC Foliage Set 3 also in the olive brown. I stamped the flowers by the boat from the 4868 - WC Flower Set 2 using green 177 and orange 885 for the flowers. I stamped in the heart flowers by the cabin from the 4868 - WC Flower Set 2 in the same orange color. I cut out the picture and a background piece using the 5063 - Double Stitched Rectangle Dies. I used my Copic pen to sign and date it.

The birthday card below is the first card I made which I will give to my second son Chad and then I made the other version for the Art Impression's Watercolor Weekend blog post. Give it a try!

Karen Day - Blog - Facebook - Pinterest
To create my scene today, I've paired up one of the cottages from 4958 - WC Cottages Set (this is SO typical of historic homes in my area!), with the footbridge from the just released 5122 - WC Bridge Set, inking them both with Tombow #969 Chocolate. Using the smaller tree from 5010 WC Tree Set 1, I stamped it several times on each side of the cottage with my #969, then softened all the lines with a damp #4 paintbrush, pulling out the colour on the tree trunks, and on the footbridge. I coloured my #177 Dark Jade marker onto the tiny foliage sprig in the 5009 WC Mini Flower Set, stamping it repeatedly to get 2nd & 3rd generation foliage in the trees, and creating shrubs around the house. Also from the Mini Flower Set - I used my #533 Peacock Blue to colour the tiny floral cluster (it looks like dots!) stamping it around the shrubs to suggest purpley/blue flowers. Dabbing at them with my damp brush softened the images, and intensified the colours. I initially drew the tufts of grass directly with my #076 Green Ochre marker, but since it is quite a yellow/green, my scene had a bit of a fall feel to it, and I was aiming for spring! So I picked up the #177 green off of my palette, and painted a wash of green grass, darkening up the grasses directly with the marker as well. I painted the pathway with #992 Sand, and added #491 Glacier Blue onto the roof & door. I painted a touch of #856 Chinese Red onto the chimney, then went in with the fine point of it to sketch in the bricks. I picked up #565 Deep Blue with my brush to paint in the stream, and then added the shadows to the windows, pathway, around the house & trees, and finally painted in the sky. With my scene complete, I always walk away for a few hours (days?) and come back with a fresh eye. I did want to darken things up a little, so I went back in with both my 177 and 565 markers, adding grasses and flowers in the deeper tones.


Tricia O'Bin - Blog - Instagram - YouTube - Pinterest - Facebook
Hey there! Welcome to another Art Impressions Watercolor Weekend! Today I am sharing my "Enjoy The Day" spring wreath. 

Step 1: Start off by lightly tracing around a circle die. This can be any size you like based on how big you want your wreath to be. Make sure you leave space around the circle for your leaves and flowers.

Step 2 : I chose a larger branch from the 4964 - WC Branches Set and inked it up with 969-Chocolate. I stamped it along the circle, trying to keep the largest part of the branch on the traced circle. I stamped it a couple of times, then re-inked it. You don't need to add any water to the branches, they are more of an accent stamp.

Step 3: I inked up the leaves from the 4605 - Spring Basket with 177-Dark Jade. You can use either one. I inked it up and stamped it several times on each branch. I added water to each of the leaves. The water may cause the color from the leaves to mix with the brown from the Branches but this is OK, unless you don't like that. I actually think it creates more interest and depth.

Step 4: I inked up the flower from the 4604 - Chest of Flowers with 443-Turquoise and stamped it around the wreath. I added water to each bloom. Next, I inked up the small dots flower from the 5009 - WC Mini Flower Set inked with 725 - Rhodamine Red and stamped them alongside the flowers. I added water to the blooms and then stamped them again using 606 - Violet.

Step 5: Using my MISTI, I inked the Enjoy The Day sentiment with the Rhodamine Red and Violet. I re-inked and double stamped it. I carefully added a small amount of water using a #1 paintbrush. Lastly, I signed and dated it.

Check out my blog for more details on how I put the card together. Check out the other design team members inspiration over on the AI Blog. Tag us on Instagram with #AIWatercolor.



Thanks, team! These projects really are beautiful and perfect for giving to a loved one this spring. We are always searching for inspiration for structure scenes, and your projects with stepping stones, bridges, trees, and water is just so pretty! Also, the floral wreath has some really lovely flower stamps tucked in some of our favorite mini sets!

We'd love to hear what you think about these projects, drop us a comment below! Did these cards give you ideas for your projects this weekend?

Happy Stamping!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

WOW! all of the ladies did an awesome job, I am in love with the cottage cards

creatingincolors said...

What beautiful cards!

see mary stamp said...

Love the pairings of the different sets on the various cottage cards. Tricia's wreath is equally stunning.