Saturday, July 6, 2019

Watercolor Weekend Roundup - July is World Watercolor Month


Hello, Ai Watercolor Fans! Did you know that July is World Watercolor Month? How cool is that! We hope today's projects inspire you to break out your stamps and play to celebrate the occasion all month long. Without further ado, here is your weekend inspiration!

Dot Freel - Instagram - Blog - Pinterest
Hello Friends,

I made a "Beach Babe" with Art Impression's stamps for the Watercolor Weekend. Summer in Las Vegas always finds me wishing I was on a beach where I can cool off in the ocean. I stamped the palm tree trunks in 969 from the 5120 - WC Palm Tree Set first, then I used a pencil to sketch in the lines for the ocean and the sand. I watercolored in the sand with 992 and the ocean with 526. The water was too light so I added some 565 which darkened it nicely. I stamped the palm fronds in 177 and pulled the color out of the lines. I watercolored the sky using No. 36 manganese blue and stamped the birds in 565 from the 5069 - My Fortress Set. I stamped the beach babe in 992 from the 5118 - WC Beach Girls Set and the puppy in 992 from the 5016 - WC Mini Critter Set. I used 77 pastel peach to color in the girl's skin and 603 to color in the girl's hat and suit. I used 969 and No. 1 black to color in the puppy then darkened his eyes and nose with the fine tip of a Copic multi liner pen. I stamped the flowers in No. 6 violet from the Flower Set 4052 and touched them with a wet brush to bring out the color. I used 565 to create the shadows. I used letters from the 5072 - Block Letters Die Set to cut out the word "beach" and then used adhesive foam to give them dimension. Lastly, as always, I added my name and date to the corner.

Karen Day - Blog - Facebook - Pinterest
This little shed from the 5121 WC Garden Shed Set looks like a beach hut to me, so I stamped it using my Tombow marker #969 Chocolate. With #676 Royal Purple and #703 Pink Rose, I stamped the tiny dot cluster from 5009 - WC Mini Flower Set in and around the hut, to suggest tropical flowers, and added the tiny foliage stamp with #158 Dark Olive for greenery. From the 5120 - WC Palm Tree Set, I used the two trunk images with #969 to add the trees behind the hut, then with #126 Light Olive and #158, I added in the different palm fronds. Using my #4 paintbrush, I pulled out the brown of the trees and the shed, and only lightly touched all of the flowers and foliage to liven the colours. I painted the hut with #991 Light Ochre, and a bit of #969 to suggest painted wood, and added #515 Light Blue to the door and painted it to suggest the ocean in the background. I used #N65 Cool Grey 5 and the stepping stone image from the 5018 - WC Cobblestone Set in front of the hut, and then painted a wash with #126 to indicate the grass. I added #565 Deep Blue to my palette, then painted in the mountains, a soft sky, and added it around all of the images to indicate shadows. I stamped the sentiment from 5136 - WC Sentiment Set 2 using Versafine Onyx Black ink, then mounted my image onto the base using pop dots. I layered some paper flowers and a wooden button to the bottom corner of my card, along with a few loops of May Arts twine. The paper flowers and the flowers on the image were all touched with a Wink of Stella pen, so they're quite shimmery in person! And you can't really tell in the photo, but that background paper has tone-on-tone sunglasses all over it.

Tricia O'Bin - Blog - Instagram - YouTube - Pinterest - Facebook
To begin, I inked the elf with the 969, stamped it off and then stamped the him to the right of the middle of the paper. Using a mask to protect him, I inked up the mushroom with the 969 and, using my positioner, stamped it underneath the elf.

I pulled the color out of the lines of the elf and the mushroom. I added some additional 969 from my palette to add some shadows onto the mushroom. I added some 954 to my palette and added it to the arms and face of the elf. I added some 969 to his pants and 535 to his shirt, adding shading around the bottom of his shirt.

I decided that it would be fun to try to use the long grasses from the 4875-Garden Wagon Mini set to create some fireworks. I am always looking for ways to stretch my stamps and this was perfect. I inked one of the grasses up with 847-Crimson and stamped it in a sort of circle a few times without re-inking, being careful not to ink the small flowers on the ends of the stamp. I did the same with the 535-Cobalt.

To create the fireworks look, I pulled the color out as far as I could in a wispy motion. I tried to pull the color out as far as I could in all directions. I added some additional red and blue to the mushroom as a type of reflection. Next, I added some N25 to my palette and slowly built up the color in the background. To add some sparkle to my fireworks, I added some Wink of Stella.

I cut the piece down using my Stitched rectangle die. I used some Gina K Designs metallic silver paper for the base and Blue Denim cardstock for the frame. To see how to create the gate fold, Jennifer McGuire does it perfectly...check out her blog here.

We LOVE to hear what you think about our bimonthly projects! Share a comment below, and we hope you can whip up a little watercolor time this weekend! Also, did you see that Bonnie (@bonniekrebs.biblejournaling) is hosting a Watercolor Challenge on Instagram that we hope you'll join! Simply use #aiwatercolorchallenge on your Instagram post so Bonnie and Ai Fans can see your work!

Happy Stamping!

1 comment:

Carol H. said...

Beautiful cards ladies!!! Love each one!