Sunday, February 21, 2021

You're a treasure! by Reneé Matarese

Hello Ai fans!

So, 2020 was pretty weird and 2021 doesn't seem to be all that different so far. I am a Special Ed. Program Aide at an elementary school. I'm sure most people don't really know what that is. During the 2019-2020 school year my job was to work in 2 fifth grade classrooms.  I would assist kids with IEPs and 504s (just fancy abbreviations for they need more help than some kids) I would also pull small groups of kids out of classrooms for study groups for extra math or reading help.  We also had an "enrichment" period where I had taught 3 cooking classes.  I had just started a tutoring business and had two kids signed up.  Flash forward to March 2020 and that all came to a screeching halt.  I was stuck at home not helping children at all. 
Flash forward again to Fall 2020 and thankfully we were back in school. My job (hopefully temporarily) has changed dramatically though.

My job this year has me outside shuttling kids through a parking lot when parents drop them off and pick them up because parents aren't allowed in the lobby anymore.  I spend 2 hours a day on lunch room duty because we have to have social distancing. I spend very little time at all on academics this year which is heartbreaking.  I am a firm believer in every cloud has a silver lining though. I have met a group of school employees that I don't normally get to see. I even broke down all barriers when for the first time a "non cafeteria" worker was asked to help out in the kitchen. We now send home meals for every single day that kids are not in school.  Our cafeteria staff was overwhelmed trying to serve kids in person and creating hundreds of meals to go home with them as well.

One sweet woman and I bonded over my love of cooking.  She shared recipes with me and brought me a magazine with some things she wanted me to read. I wanted to thank her so I made her a bookmark since I know she loves to read.

Sorry for the long post...I love my job, even this year, and I LOVE my co-worker friends!!

I used a
couple Art Impressions sets on my bookmark.

and






2 comments:

Dot J Freel said...

How clever and cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬