Sunday, March 10, 2024

Mother Goose Journal By Tricia O'Bin

 

Welcome Back Watercolor Tribe!



I have a special watercolor journal for you today, using so many stamps, 
but don't be intimidated!

I am challenging you to think outside the box.  

I created another journal like this that I will be showing off another time, 
but in the meantime, I am really happy with the way this one turned out!  

Won't you come along and step back in time,
to when you listened to a nursery rhyme or two?


Introducing, my watercolor Mother Goose nursery rhymes journal.

I created the journal using the following supplies:

1 piece heavy cardstock for cover
2 pieces of heavy cardstock for 6 pages
Scrap watercolor or cardstock for clasps
19 pattern paper masks were die cut 
(front, middle, back, 2 ea pages 1-3 and 8-10, middle 4)
9 finished paintings cut to 3.5 x 2.25

For the cover I used a discontinued (sorry) set that has two geese on the stamp.
First, I inked up only one and stamped her down.  I pulled a small amount out of the lines to keep her white.  You could also use some of the birds to morph into a goose.  I painted some orange on her beak and feet.  I added some 569 and 969 underneath her to ground her.

I hand painted in the hat and bow.  
For the words, I used the small alphabet stamps.



Mary had a Little Lamb 

(or sheep in this case LOL)



For Mary's schoolyard "lamb", I started out by stamping the Sheep from the Good Shephard set using 969 and 569.  I stamped it off several time to make sure if was really light (white as snow). I pulled a bit of color into the sheep's shadows and under her feet. To protect her while I worked on Mary, I created a mask.  

For Mary, I inked up one of the Angels without the wings.  I also made sure her hair was really light because I wanted to extend it down. I made sure to stamp her close to the sheep's face. I pulled some color out of the lines and penciled in her hat.  I added some purple and pink to the hat and her arms for sleeves.  For her dress, I pulled some additional color in making sure to paint strokes that are parallel to the artist drawn lines. Her hair is built up using layer of browns to create depth.  Add some dark color underneath her to ground her.

Next, I stamped the small structure from the Garden Shed set inked with 969.  I liked the open window so I could hand paint in the chalkboard, floor and desk.  After pulling the color out, I added red to the walls and green to the roof.  I added 569 and 969 sporadically around for the appearance of snow and a mountain the distance.  I added some light blue into the sky to finish it off.


Three Blind Mice


I started by using the 3 mice from the Mini Mice and Squirrel set inked up with 969.  I took my time and built up the dark shadows on these little guys.  Once I was done I grounded them using some 969 and 569 underneath them.

For the Farmers Wife, I used the running girl from the Silhouettes set inked with 569 and 969. By adding her closer to the top, she appears further away in perspective. 

Next, I stamped the barn from the Barn set. I pulled the color out of the lines and added some color to it from my palette.  I added a small amount of water using my 0 paintbrush to her.  Lastly, Using 569 from my palette, I painted in the snow and sky.  

To see the entire journal, please visit my blog.  

I hope I have inspired you today!

I can't wait to see what interesting things you morph your stamps into.  
A theme is a fun way to explore you creativity.  I hope you will tag me so I can check them out!

Until next time, have a crafty day!




SUPPLIES:

3 comments:

Ruthan Plant said...

This is such a joyful journal that all can relate to. Beautiful illustrations for the stories. Wonderful ideas Tricia. I've heard many excited to make one.

Sharon Caudle said...

Tricia, this is crazy good!!! I love each and every page! You hit this one all the way to the moon!!

Deb H. said...

Adorable. I love it. I may use this idea to send something like this to my new niece.