Sunday, October 1, 2023

Boo Y'all & a Shaker! - by Karen Day

Hello Ai Watercolour fans!

                                           

We're changing up how the Watercolour Weekend posts are going to be going forward.  Each of the Watercolour Team Designers will take turns featuring two projects every Sunday, and I'm kicking it off for October with all kinds of photos, info, and even a video!  Lots to see, so keep scrolling.

First, I have a fun Halloween card, using a mix of old & new products:

I stamped the house from 5602 - Spooky House & Post Set and 5778 - FB Frog Costume onto Canson XL Watercolour Paper using Tombow #969/565.  I used one of the Ai Nested Circle dies to draw in the moon behind the house, and then started painting!  For the house, I've used #676 & 606, with 346 for the shutters, and N55 for the grey bits, adding several layers where it needed to be darker.  Using the marker directly on the paper, I added the glowing window panes with #991.  I also used #991 for the moon, washing it out towards the center, and adding an extra layer of colour around the rim to make it darker.
The grass and frog costume were painted in #126, with #158 added to make some areas darker, and #346 was used for his shoes.  #850 became his skintone, with rosy cheeks added with Copic marker.  The frog comes with coordinating dies, so I was able to quickly cut him out.  *Since he is a Front & Back stamp, I had painted up the back image as well, and intended to have the grassy bank on a hinge that would open up to reveal the sentiment, but I ended up just using the front.  The pumpkin was started with #933, and layers of 905 and 969 were added to the underside to create deeper tones.  I used a Black Twintone marker to darken the pumpkin face, and all the details on the frog costume as well.  A wash of #526 was painted in as the sky, with darker layers of colour farther away from the moon.

To assemble my card, I used the purple starry sky paper from the new 5849 - Halloween S2 Paper Pack as the base.  I die cut my scene with a 5063 Rectangle A2 Double Stitched Die, then I created another grassy bank that I die cut and adhered to the base with 3D Foam Adhesive to have it stand out.  I cut out the 3 bats from the new 5769 - Halloween FB Fence Set and two pieces from the 4967 - WC Fence Dies in black cardstock.  The fence was glued onto the grassy bank, and the bats were adhered to the sky, some with 3D foam.  My Trick-or-Treater was glued onto the foreground, with some foam adhesive under his head.  The sentiment is from 5603 - Halloween Sentiments Set, stamped in Versafine Onyx Black ink.

Snowglobe Shaker Card

My second card is using several of the just-released holiday products!  Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of my post to see a video of the shaker in action:

I like to use Ranger Watercolour Cardstock when I'm painting snow, as it's a lovely bright white colour, so I cut it into a 4" x 3" piece, and stamped out my scene.  Using Tombows #969/565 for all my images, I started with the deer from the 5791 - WC Snowglobe Set, and then covered him with a mask.  I stamped the 5378 - WC Stone Creek Scene, leaving a space for the church, and eliminating the row of rocks that are farther back (I thought they would compete with the deer image).  This was the perfect background for my scene!  Masking the church, I coloured the smaller pine tree in the set in #249, and stamped it just behind, and then repeated them behind one of the hillsides, to look like the trees were farther away.  I also used the small leafless tree to put a few around the church as well.

Now I began to pull out the colour with a damp brush, being strategic of which direction I pulled it, making sure it was where the shadows would fall, or to simply highlight a hillside.  I went over these areas with a mixture of #565/605 - as I wanted my snow to have a more bluish hue, and I painted in areas where there would be shadows.

For the deer, I used #947 & 969, keeping it lighter on top, and adding more layers of colour to the shadowy underside.  I added a little #N55 to his hooves and antlers, and also painted this onto the door and spire of the church.  To give the rocks a little colour, I dabbed on touches of N55, 947 and 565, as I like them to have a mottled, multi-coloured look.

I softened the pine trees by going over them with a damp brush, and once dry - added touches of Dr. P.H. Martin's white paint to put some snow on the branches, and did the same to the other trees.  It's hard to see, but I added Stickles to the rocks, trees and roof of the church for a little sparkle.  I used tones of #443/565 for both the stream and the sky, keeping the edges a little bit darker.  I adhered my scene onto my card base, matted with some glitter paper.  

To create the shaker, I cut the new 5782 Snowflake Frame Die in white cardstock, as well as some white fun foam.  I glued the fun foam over my scene, then added glitter and sequins in the middle.  I added a rectangle of clear acetate over this, then glued on my cardstock frame - and my shaker was complete!  Here's a slo-mo video so that you can see the shaker in action:


Thanks for joining me today!  Don't forget to look for the Watercolour Design Team with two projects every Sunday here on the blog and other Social Media sites.  See you next month!


For the Boo Y'all card:

For the Snowglobe Shaker card:

5 comments:

Renee Matarese said...

So beautiful Karen. Thanks for helping kick off this new venture!

Twoods said...

Such a beautiful card Karen… I want to copy..❤️❤️

Sharon Caudle said...

I love this new format for the watercolor team!! Fantastic way to kick it off, Karen! Both your cards are spectacular!! I love, love, love the shaker and your Halloween card is so adorable!! I've always been one of your biggest fans! :)

Deb H. said...

Beautiful cards Karen. Thank you for sharing how you made the winter shaker card.

Tricia OBin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.