Sunday, December 10, 2023

Watercolor Weekend - Diane and Jami Edition

Hello and welcome, Watercolor Weekend Fans!

With the AI blog taking a break later this month, we're doubling up on your Watercolor Weekend inspiration this week, featuring posts from both Diane and Jami.

Diane will kick things off with an elegant Poinsettia Card
and a sparkling Snowflake Snowman Gift Tag:

This year has been fantastic for new watercolor stamps to add to our collections. When I first saw the poinsettia set, I was thrilled about the possibilities it offers —wreaths, pots, swags, and more! It's a fantastic addition to our floral options. Christmas wouldn't be the same without decorating with a vibrant poinsettia plant!
I focused on the simplicity of this card, making the potted poinsettia the main focal point. Starting with the flower pot from 4870 – WC Ornate Container Set inked in N52 (excluding the bottom saucer), I stamped the medium-sized poinsettia from 5828 – Poinsettia Set three times, masking each flower, and inked the petals with 347 and 993 for the centers. The large leaves filling the pot are from 5795 – Berries, inked in 249, with masking as needed. The berries from 5828 were inked with 347 for the berries and 249 for the stems. The leafy vines, also from the same set, were inked in 177.

For the pot, I used N52 with a touch of 969 to darken the sides for contour, while shadows were created with a mix of 565 and N52. The shadow below the pot is a blend of 528 and 565. I highlighted areas with a small dot of Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White, particularly at the berry centers and wherever a highlight was needed. I used a gray or red TwinTone for any details that may have been blended out. To deepen the shadows on the poinsettia, I mixed a touch of 969 with 347 and did the same for the leaves, adding a bit of 969 to 249 for depth.

The painting was die-cut using 5061 – Square Double Stitched Dies and matted with cardstock. The two patterned paper panels are from 5812 – Christmas S2 Paper Pack.

For the interior, I stamped a sentiment from 5802 – Joyful Snowman Set and added a small snowflake remaining from my previous card just above the sentiment. The "Merry Christmas" die-cut on the card front came from my collection of Christmas dies.

Next up is the Snowflake Snowman Gift Tag:

For my next project, I wanted to create a fun gift tag. I decided to use the new 5779 – FB Snowman and give it the appearance of a Polaroid picture, as if you're sending a snapshot of your new frosty friend to the gift recipient!

For the "Polaroid," I used the frame from 5591 – Journal Rectangle Frames Die Set, die-cutting it from Canson XL watercolor paper. After trimming away the decorative scallop and removing the center, I focused on the snowman. I inked it in 565, adding 969 to the non-snowy parts (like clothing, hat, and face) and stamped it off. The sky was painted with 528, and deepened at the edges with a mix of 528 and 565. I used 565 to shade the snowman's body, face, and scarf, while 933 added color to the carrot nose and a watery mix of 856 was used for the cheeks. The clothing and details were painted in 528 and 312, while the top hat was painted with N25 and 528 for the band. I added snowflakes using Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White and shimmery dots with Gansai Tambi White Gold paint. The frame was shaded lightly on the left side and bottom edges with N52 for depth. I stamped the sentiment from 5566 – Christmas Sentiments in 528.

As for the tag, I die-cut the largest tag from 5132 – Tag Stitched Dies twice: once in shimmery blue cardstock and once in white. The blue tag was decorated with snowflakes die-cut from shiny silver cardstock using 5353 – Large Snowflake Dies, ensuring some extended beyond the edges. Trimming off the excess snowflakes, I filled any gaps with the trimmed pieces. The snowman Polaroid was mounted on the blue tag at an angle with foam squares. Inside, I added "To/From" cut from silver cardstock using 5562 – Journal Letter Die Set and extra snowflakes were added to the bottom right. I scored a fold line across the top for easy access inside. I attached the white tag to the top of the blue one with glue, I added ribbon and a small snowflake with a tiny glue dot.

I'm very happy with how this tag turned out—it matches my vision perfectly! I think it would look fantastic on a package wrapped in white or silver. I hope the recipient loves it as much as I do!
Next, we're showcasing Jami's stunning Vintage Christmas Card
alongside delightful Snowman and Santa Ornaments. Take it away, Jami!

This Christmas card is one that I absolutely enjoyed creating. I love all things vintage and Christmas is no exception. I love the colors of Christmas in the 1950’s. The pink, teal, red and green with some glitter added is my favorite. For this card I started with stamping the Snowman Scenic Foundations #5818 with the 565 blue and 969 brown Tombow markers. I stamped off twice. I used the following markers to paint the image: Blue 565, Brown 969, Red 856, Bluish Green 312, Pink 761, Pink 817, Green 158, Green 296, Gray N65, Gray N45, and Gray 25. After I had done all of my painting I added some rainbow sparkle glitter to Nuvo Crystal Drops in clear to paint glitter onto the top of the door, the window shutters, the windows on the top floor and the lamp posts. This was an easy way to add the glitter without it falling off and to give a light shimmer. When I added Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White for the snow to the card while it was still wet I sprinkled some more glitter onto the snow.



 

For my second watercolor project this time I made an ornament using the Joyful Snowman Set #5802. I love these cute little snowmen! When I stamped the snowman I started with the usual markers and stamped him off only once this time so that the lines would be more prominent since I wanted the details to show from a far. I used the same colored markers painting the snowman as I did with the card above. He was pretty easy to make. Using the AI Circle Dies I cut out a circle that would fit the ornament and used the negative as a template for my watercolor paper. To give the earmuffs a fluffy look I used the grass from WC Mini Foliage. After painting I then did the shadowing and details. Here’s a tip, if you need to darken your red for shading try adding a tiny bit of green or gray. For me it makes it so much easier than trying to keep adding red. The blue 565 turns the shadows purple for me so I thought I would try something new. Lastly, I added some Uni-ball Signo Silver pen to the top of the ornaments and added Wink of Stella clear glitter to the ornament bulb. Dr. Ph. Martin’s was used to add some details and some snow. Next I die cut the circle with the snowman. At this point you will need to mark your hole for the ribbon to go through. I held the ornament and painting up to a light, marked where the hole would be and then punched it out using a 1/8th inch hole punch. Using Art Glitter glue and I glued the painting to the ornament lining up the hole for the ribbon. Now to make this artwork waterproof I covered the painting with Dorland’s Wax Medium. I love this stuff and use it on all of my watercolor projects. Finally I stamped the sentiment using a red ink pad on watercolor paper using the Mini Christmas Sentiment Set #5847. I die cut it out with a small circle and glued that to the back. The ribbon was 1/4 inch Offray red. I added the jingle bells to both ornaments because they were adorable and I loved hearing the ornaments jingle! 



And just because the stamped snowman ornament was too cute I had to make one more! This was done using the same techniques as above. I used stamp set FB Santa #5775. These front and back Santa’s have so many options!  




 

 


Diane's Poinsettia Card:  
Diane's Snowflake Snowman Gift Tag:
Jami's Vintage Christmas Card:
Jami's Snowman and Santa Ornaments:


4 comments:

Deb H. said...

Wonderful cards, tag, and ornaments. Thank for the directions on inking the stamps and watercoloring. I love them all.

Karen Day said...

Great post, ladies! Wonderful holiday inspiration :-)

Diane Mason said...

Thank you, Deb and Karen! ��

Sharon Caudle said...

Wow, wow, and wow!!! I love every one of these gorgeous projects!! The Design Team is so amazingly talented!!!