Saturday, July 25, 2026

Spotlight Daffodils Card and Floral Corner Bird Bookmarks by Diane Mason

  Hello, and welcome back for Watercolor Weekend!


Hello, my Ai Watercolor friends and fans! Today I’m sharing two projects featuring stamps and dies from three of the newest releases: 6218 – BJ Long Stem, 6220 – Sing to the Lord Set, and 6209 – Corner Bird Bookmark. I used the first set to create the Spotlight Daffodil Card, and combined the second and third sets to make the Floral Corner Bird Bookmarks.

Spotlight Daffodils Card:

I just love daffodils—their structure is so elegant, and they come in so many beautiful colors. My favorites are the bright yellow ones. Using the spotlight technique allowed me to highlight those beautiful yellow blooms and really draw the eye to the focal image.

Colors and Supplies Used

Paper: Canson XL Watercolor Paper

Cardstock: Black

Brushes: No. 4 round brush, No. 0 round brush

Stamps & Dies:

  • 6218 – BJ Long Stem
  • 5588 – Journal Oval Frames Die Set
  • 5724 – Nested Rectangle Dies

Ink for stamped images: Versafine Onyx Black Ink, Versamark

Tombow Dual Brush Pens: 025, 026, 177, 403

Other: Foam squares, Ranger Super Embossing Powder – White, Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White, Heat Embossing Tool

Creating the Background

Using a stamp platform, I stamped each long‑stem image in Versafine Onyx Black to build the background. I made sure to position the daffodil exactly where the spotlighted oval would later be placed.

For the spotlight image, I inked the petals with 026 and the leaves/stems with 177, stamped onto Canson XL watercolor paper, then pulled the color from the lines with a damp brush. I brightened the petals with 025 and deepened the shadows with more 026. The stems were shaded with a mix of 177 + 565.

For the background wash, I brushed a watery mix of 403 around the flowers using a No. 4 round brush. A few highlights were added with Bleed Proof White.

Assembly

I die‑cut the stamped background using the Nested Rectangle Dies (5724) and adhered it to an A2 black cardstock base. Next, I die‑cut the painted daffodil image with the oval from Journal Oval Frames (5588) and die-cut the scalloped oval from black cardstock. After layering them, I added foam squares and aligned the spotlight image over the background.

For the sentiment, I stamped the greeting from 6218 in Versamark clear embossing ink on black cardstock and heat‑embossed it with Ranger Super Fine White Embossing Powder. To complete the card, the sentiment was attached with foam squares.

I really enjoyed making this project. The simple black‑and‑white stamped background creates the perfect foundation for the spotlight technique. I can’t wait to try this approach with more Art Impressions images.

Floral Corner Bird Bookmarks:

The new 6209 – Corner Bird Bookmark die is such a delight to use—and these bookmarks come together quickly. You can absolutely make them with cardstock and patterned papers, but I decided to create my own patterned papers using images from 6220 – Sing to the Lord and 6150 – His Love.

Colors and Supplies Used

Paper: Canson XL Mix Media Paper

Cardstock: Purple

Brush: No. 0 round brush

Ink for stamped images: Versafine Vintage Sepia

Tombow Dual Brush Pens: 177, 606, 026, 969, N25

Stamps & Dies:

  • 6209 – Corner Bird Bookmark
  • 6220 – Sing to the Lord Set
  • 6150 – His Love Set

Stamping & Painting

I began by diecutting the tail, wings, and chest pieces from Canson Mix Media Paper.

Using Versafine Vintage Sepia, I stamped the floral vine from 6220 repeatedly across the tail and wings. For the chest, I stamped the mini hearts from 6150 to fill the shape.

The images were painted with 177 and 606, deepening the flower centers and leaves with additional layers. The eye was painted with 969, with a dot of N25 for the pupil. The beak was colored with 026.

Two Ways to Build the Bookmark

The standard construction (shown in the bottom-left finished sample) slides onto the bottom corner of a page.

To create a version that sits at the top of a page, follow these steps:

1.     Glue the folded cardstock body piece together.

2.     Attach the tail feathers to the outside, facing downward, gluing only at the top so the feathers remain open to slide over the page.

3.     Die‑cut two extra chest pieces from purple cardstock to extend the body and glue them over the tail feathers.

4.     Add the wing, chest, beak, and eye pieces as usual.

Now you have a second way to enjoy these adorable bookmarks!


Here are a few more bookmarks I’ve made for extra inspiration.

Thank you so much for spending a little creative time with me today. I can’t wait to see what you create with these new sets—be sure to tag us on social media. Until next time, Happy Painting!

No comments: