Saturday, August 20, 2022

Watercolor Weekend 8-20-2022

 Hello Ai fans!

It's time for our final Watercolor Weekend of the summer.
Though it's always a little sad to see summer end, it's always exciting to see what Fall and Winter paintings our Design Team comes up with!



Karen is our first artist up today and you're going to LOVE her soft, delicate colors.

Hello Ai Watercolour fans!

I have a summery version of the newly released 5575 - Mailbox Birdhouse Set that is part of the Watercolour Journals line, today.


I inked up my birdhouse in Tombow # 969 & #565, stamped off, and then onto my Canson XL Watercolour Paper.  With my positioner, I added two birds from 4872 - WC Birds Set, and then set about building my pots.  Using the 2 vines from 4867 - WC Foliage Set 2 New I coloured just portions of them in #249, staggering them on either side.  I used two florals from 4868 - WC Flower Set 2 using #565 for the heart cluster, and #177/#703 for the stemmed florals.  After pulling out the colour from the lines of the main image, I added #526 to the pots and house, layering it darker in the shady areas, and painted in #969 on the roof and post.  Layers of #565 were added to the birds, and I dotted their eyes with my Navy Twintone marker.  Grasses from 5007 - WC Foliage Set 3 in #177 were put around the post, and softened with a damp brush.  A wash of #493 created the sky.  I used my sewing machine to stitch my panel onto some contrasting cardstock, and attached it to my base with some 3D foam adhesive.


Next up is Dot with a beautiful, summery wishing well scene.

Hello,
I made this card for the Art Impressions Watercolor Weekend using the Tombow TwinTone pen set available on the Ai website. The colors are bright and I wanted to try something different so I had planned on only using the TwinTone set but I didn't like the unnatural greens though so I used the 249 and 173 of the regular Tombow pens for the green areas and I used the 850 for the girl's skin tone.



 If you want to make this one, start by inking up the well from the 5012 Wishing Well Set inked in the TwinTone Navy and Chocolate pens, like you would with the other Tombows. Stamp it off first on scratch paper then stamp it on your watercolor paper. Ink the girl from the 5053 Little Girls Set in the Chocolate and stamp it off first as well. Stamp the cat from the 4873 Cats Set inked in the Black. Pull the color out of the lines then color the top of the well with the Blue pen. Color underneath the roof with the Navy. Color the pail and the bottom of the rocks with the Navy, Chocolate and Black. Ink the vine and grass from the 4051 Foliage Set in 249 then ink the vine with the 173 and stamp over the other leaves. Ink the flowers from the 4052 Flowers Set in the Cherry Pink. Dab at them with a wet brush, then use the fine point tip to add dots on the flowers. Use that same pen to add dots above the grass. The sky is Navy. The trial is Black. Paint the cat black. Color the girl's hat and shirt with the Emerald Green. The hat label and top are Mint Green. The skirt is Cherry Pink and then use the fine tip to add the plaid lines. Her hair is Chocolate. Use the 5065 Rounded Corner Dies to cut it out.

We'll wrap things up with a stunning butterfly card from Tricia.

Hey Watercolor Fans!  I am so in love with the new releases and this one has been on my mind for a while now.  I wanted the butterflies to look like they were bursting out of an open box. 

 


I remembered I had an older stamp set “Beyond Baskets 2” I think from Gina K.  This is actually a 2 piece stamp, I stamped the open top, masked it and then stamped the bottom.  I pulled the color out of the lines, added more color from my palette.  Once it was dry, I used my 569 on the letters from the small letter stamp set. 

I used the small and large butterfly in the new birds and bugs set in each of the rainbow colors. I randomly stamped sometimes not stamping the entire image. I was trying for a lost and found edges look.  I didn’t stamp anything off as I wanted really strong color.  I stamped all the butterflies, first, second and third generation to get some really interesting depths.  With a damp brush, I pulled the color out of the outside of the lines, painting the negative space with a soft of wet-on-wet technique.  I added a small amount of water to the middle of the butterflies as well. 

When I was working out how I wanted this card to look, it left me with some butterflies that were all ready to go so I used the small butterfly die and cut them out.  I also cut 3 more per butterfly (18 white & 9 colored) to stack and get a raised look on a few of the butterflies.  I glued them randomly around the card.

That’s it, easy peasy as always.  I signed and dated and mounted it on a piece of patterned paper and then to a card base.  I hope you give this a try, it was a very freeing exercise.  I hope you have a crafty day and I’ll see you next time!




I'm sure you all have tons of ideas spinning in your heads after viewing these amazing cards!
Be sure to #artimpressions when you share your cards so that we can see them.

Enjoy your weekend and be sure to do something crafty.
It soothes the soul.



1 comment:

Sharon Caudle said...

Another weekend of beautiful watercoloring! Karen, your card is so soft and beautiful! I always love your paintings! Dot, your card is so adorable!! I feel like she's standing there wishing she had a penny to throw into the well! And Tricia your butterflies bursting out of the box is so pretty! I love them all!!